Add a Teaching Field
You must submit an application to add a new license field to your existing Hawaii license.
Guide for Adding a Teaching Field to an existing Hawaii license. Go to your license record and go to the Licenses/Permits tab. Click the button that says “Add Teaching Field” and complete the application, saving after each section. When you finish your application, click “Submit.” HTSB licensing staff will evaluate your application.
Click here for a list of HTSB-approved License Fields.
License Fields that have special requirements:
Adding a Hawaiian field to your license can be done using the normal add a field procedure outlined in this memo. For those interested in more information about the course HAW 490, please use these links to contact UH-Hilo or UH-Manoa.
These teaching fields may only be “added fields:”
- Middle Level Generalist (Only available via SATEP recommendation)
- Online Teaching (This can only be added to a Standard or Advanced License NBI 13-33)
- Teacher Leader (Revised 3/4/22 – NBI 14-31 linked here)
- All Career and Technical Education Vocational Fields
These teaching fields may only be added by completion of a state-approved educator preparation program (SATEP):
- School Librarian
- Reading Specialist
- Early Childhood Education (Revised 11/17/17 NBI 17-06Rev linked here)
- School Counselor (Approved 9/17/21 NBI 21-12 linked here)
These teaching fields have additional options:
- Complete a preparation program in Literacy Specialist and meet the experience requirement.
- Complete a School District/non-profit sponsored program in Literacy Specialist and meet the experience requirement.
- Hold a National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) Certificate in the following areas and meet the experience requirement:
- Literacy: Reading-Language Arts: Early and Middle Childhood
- English Language Arts: Early Adolescence
- Adolescence and Young Adulthood
- Only added to a Standard/Advanced License (NBI 13-33)
- Content Knowledge:
- Complete a preparation program in Online Teaching and meet the experience requirement; OR
- Complete a minimum of 9 professional development credits in Online Teaching and meet the experience requirement; OR
- Hold a license/certificate/endorsement in online teaching from another state and meet the experience requirement.
- The experience requirement for the Online Teaching field is verification of 3 years of successful teaching experience and verification of 10 online P‐12 courses you have taught within the last 5 years at a P‐12 school recognized at a federal or state Department of Education level.
STEM: (Updated 3/4/2022)
- Content Knowledge:
- A total of thirty (30) semester credit hours (30) from an integrated STEM education program that includes six (6) semester credit hours in each of the four STEM disciplines at least three (3) semester hours in each of the disciplines must be upper-division level; the remaining 6 semester credit hours may be from any of the four STEM disciplines; OR
- Complete 9 Professional Development (PD) credits and meet the experience requirement. The minimum completion of 9 PD credits needs to be offered by a private/non-profit organization or school district in integrated STEM education that includes all 4 STEM disciplines with at least 3 hours of the engineering design process. During the course of the PD, the individual must develop and deliver a purposeful unit that integrates Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math along with other content areas; OR
- Passing scores on Praxis Technology Education test and a passing score on either the Praxis science or mathematics area test. Please see the Licensure Test Categories page under the Mathematics or Science categories for a list of exams accepted for STEM.
- The experience requirement for the STEM field is verification of 1 year of full-time teaching in the field at the grade level requested, or 3 years of full-time teaching at the grade level requested no matter the field or passing the Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT) test for the grade level requested.
Teacher Leader (updated 3/4/22 with NBI 14-31 linked here):
- Completion of a teacher preparation program in Teacher Leadership; OR
- Hold a license/certificate/endorsement from another state with the field of Teacher Leader; OR
- Pass the Educational Testing Service (ETS) Praxis Performance Assessment for Teacher Leaders (PATL); OR
- Hold a National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) certification in any NBPTS certificate areas; OR
- Complete an in-state board-approved Teacher Leadership program, e.g., Teacher Leader Academy (TLA) Na Kumu Alaka ‘i, Hawaii State Fellows, or Teacher Leadership Institute (TLI).
- Job-embedded teacher leader experience in the areas identified by NBI 14-31 linked here. Please have your administrator complete the HSTB form TL7010, verifying at least 4 semesters as a Teacher Leader.
PLEASE NOTE: To continue to add Teacher Leader to a Hawaii license the following job-embedded Teacher Leader experience must be verified at each renewal period. The Hawaii Department of Education, Charter School, or Private School administrator must verify four (4) semesters of successful experience as a Teacher Leader for any of the following experiences:
- Curriculum or content specialist/coach
- State office or complex area instructional or data coach
- Mentor teacher
- Department/grade level chair
- Service on school-wide, district, state or national level that develops
leadership skills and benefits students, school community or the
profession, eg., accreditation team, school turnaround team, instructional
leadership team, etc. Service as a union faculty representative alone does
not qualify an individual for the Teacher Leader license field.