Please review this page for frequently asked questions and answers. If you can’t find your answer here, feel free to use the Contact Us page.
WHAT’S NEW: HTSB’S OFFICE REOPENS June 8, 2020
Now that the State of Hawaii is in the “Act with Care” stage and offices are allowed to reopen, HTSB’s office located in Dole Cannery at 650 Iwilei Road, Suite 268, Honolulu will be open from 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Mondays through Fridays, except State holidays, effective June 8, 2020. For everyone’s health and safety, visitors should:
1. Wear masks covering their noses and mouths,
2. Not exhibit any signs of COVID-19, such as a fever, cough or other respiratory symptoms, or have had close, prolonged contact with a person who has or is suspected to have COVID-19,
3. Not have traveled outside Hawaii in the 14 days preceding their visit to HTSB’s office, and
4. Avoid physical contact and keep a six-foot distance from others unless behind the sneeze guard, and
5. Not enter HTSB’s reception area if anyone else is in there.
As during the past few months, most of HTSB’s staff will continue working remotely because of our small office space, with staggered hours in the office. To date, our COVID-19 safety precautions have worked to prevent the spread of the disease in our office, and we thank you for helping us to keep it that way. You can continue to receive timely help, usually the same day, from HTSB’s licensing staff by one of the following options:
1. The best method: use the Contact HTSB tab in your online HTSB license or permit account;
2. Email us at email@example.com;
3. Call 808-586-2600;
4. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a virtual meeting appointment.
Stay safe and healthy, everyone!
Applications and Messages
We are currently working on messages and applications submitted before August 4, 2020
. You will receive a notice when your application is approved or if we need additional information. If you are currently enrolled in or have recently completed a State Approved Teacher Education Program, we will process your application after we receive the list of completers from your program. During peak application times, May – July and January – March, it may take up to six weeks to process your application, especially if we are waiting on documentation from agencies, schools, or organizations to support your application.
Please click this link to see our new document: Where to Go: A Guide for Hawaii Teacher Applicants and Licensees with information about the different organizations Hawaii teacher applicants and licensees
Answer: HTSB does not license administrative staff. Please contact the Hawaiʻi Department of Education at 808-586-3230.
How do I notify HTSB that I have changed my name?
Answer: Please see the Changing Your Name page for more information.
I’m a military spouse, what procedure do I go though to get a teaching license?
Answer:The Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) is sponsored by the Department of Defense and provides financial assistance for eligible military spouses who are pursuing licenses or credentials leading to employment in portable career fields. You can telephone Military OnSource at 800-342-9647 for further information or visit the MyCAA website.
Answer: If you are a Hawaiʻi Department of Education (DOE) employee, the Hawaiʻi Teacher Standards Board (HTSB) will verify your employment with the DOE. For other licensees, an authorized school or district official can sign your Verification of Experience for Renewal Form (RA4010), example: your Principal, Superintendent or Headmaster.
How do I know what kind of documentation to keep for the Verification of Satisfying Hawaii Teacher Performance Standards Documentation Form?
Answer: Documentation requirements are listed in Column 3 on each of the following Form RA 5010s:
Verification of Satisfying the Hawaiʻi School Counselor Performance Standards
Verification of Satisfying the Hawaiʻi School Librarian Performance Standards
Verification of Satisfying the Hawaiʻi Teacher Performance Standards
I am not a Hawaii DOE employee–can I use another performance evaluation to meet the standards?
Answer: Documentation requirements are listed in Column 3 on Form RA 5010 (see Question 3 for specific links).
How do I renew my license?
Answer: Please see the Renewing Your License page for information on how to renew your license. You will receive a reminder email from HTSB when it is time to renew your license.
Follow these steps to process the renewal for your license:
- First, Login to your account using your Username or Email address and Password.
- Under your My Profile Home tab, click on the Go to Licenses/Permits button.
- On the Licenses/Payments tab, click on the Renew License button under the Action column on your current license.
- After clicking on the button, you will be taken to your Renewal Application. Just follow the instructions to complete the application.
- Once your renewal application has been approved by a Hawaiʻi Teacher Standards Board (HTSB) Licensing Specialist, you will receive an email notifying you that your renewal has been approved and that payment is due.
- When you log back into your account, you will see your renewed license in the “My Current License” section.
Note: You will receive an email reminder 6 months prior to your license expiration date.