Hawaii Based Programs:
A Hawai’i State Approved Teacher Education Program (SATEP) may implement policies to provide candidates with multiple ways to demonstrate proficiency in clinical experience
prior to program completion and recommendation for licensure following one of the options below:
- Please note: The below options are specific to meeting student teaching, internship, or residency requirements ONLY and not to satisfy the coursework/content requirements of a SATEP. Please see New Business Item 11-03 (Revised) for all requirements.
- Option A: A minimum of four hundred fifty (450) hours of supervised clinical experience in student teaching, internship, or residency. This option is already in use by SATEP.
- Option B: Demonstration of teaching proficiency through a combination of documented satisfactory work experience and observation by the SATEP. Work experience is defined as contracted employment as the teacher of record in a public or private P-12 school setting in Hawaii or another U.S. state, in the license field and level required to grant a Hawaii license or permit. This option may be implemented by the SATEP effective immediately.
- Option C: Passing an HTSB approved performance assessment normed for Hawaii in combination with any other requirements determined by the SATEP. The SATEP may require some teaching experience with this option if they so desire.
Disclaimer Regarding Out-of-State Teacher Education Programs:
An individual may be eligible for a Hawaiʻi license after completing an educator preparation program approved by another state/jurisdiction. This includes online and “alternative route” programs. It is the individual’s responsibility to seek confirmation in writing from the out-of-state preparation program and their state licensing agency that the program in which they enroll leads to a teaching license in the program’s home state.
- Please see New Business Item 21-13 for requirements for individuals seeking a license in Hawaii who completed an out-of-state educator preparation program and have not acquired a full license or certificate from a U.S. state, District of Columbia, or U.S. territory.
Educator Preparation Program/Unit Review
For information on developing a new program or adding new options to your existing preparation program, please contact us at email@example.com