Monday, October 18, 2021 06:05 AM

Renewing Your License

Notification of Upcoming Renewal

You may renew your HTSB license or permit between January and June of your renewal year, and will receive renewal instructions by email to the address you list in your HTSB account in the Email tab. A reminder email will be sent every month between January and July until you renew.  Once you complete the renewal process, you will no longer receive the notices.

Hawaiʻi Department of Education employees:

  1. Login to your online account and click on the Renew License button that will appear under the My Profile – Licenses/Permits tab.
  2. Complete the online Renewal application.
  3. Submit your Renewal request.

Non-Hawaiʻi Department of Education employees:

Renewal Audit

Teachers are eligible for a random audit up to one year from the date they actually renew. For example, if a teacher renewed their license on July 1, 2019, they are eligible for an audit through June 30, 2020.  If you are selected, you will be notified by official letter from one of our specialists.  If you have not been notified after the one year anniversary date of your license renewal, you are exempt from being selected. If you are a Hawaiʻi Department of Education teacher and are selected for an audit, the DOE will verify that you had a effective teacher evaluation and experience at the time of renewal. If you are not a Hawaiʻi Department of Education teacher and are selected for an audit, the forms RA4010, to verify your experience, and RA5010, RA5010C or RA5010L, depending on whether you are a teacher, counselor or librarian, that you upload to your My Profile – Documents tab will be used for the audit.  You may upload any other documentation you select for renewal verification to your HTSB record.

Licensure Renewal After Retirement

HTSB teaching licenses are issued for a specific number of years. License status will change after a license expires, it does not, however, change because of retirement. Employment and licensure are two separate matters.

A teacher can continue to renew her/his Standard License or Advanced License if the required current teaching experience has been met.  If the current experience needed for license renewal is not met, a Provisional License is available.  A Provisional License is a full/regular license issued by HTSB.  While the Provisional license expires every 3 years, individuals can apply for an unlimited number of provisional licenses.